2023 Long Term Care Emergency Preparedness Symposium
Goal: Enhance and improve the preparedness of Minnesota long term care facilities by providing education, training, and lessons learned to leaders, providers, and other members of the preparedness team.
Overall Learning Objectives – Following this activity, participants should be able to:
- Apply lessons learned in recent disasters and incidents to improve facility preparedness.
- Identify critical aspects of staff and resident protection during disaster/special incident response.
- Integrate behavioral health and wellness best practices to enhance the resilience of long term care leadership and staff.
When: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 8:00am – 4:00pm
Where: Heritage Center of Brooklyn Center 6155 Earle Brown Drive Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
Who should attend: Leaders and staff from Nursing Homes, Assisted Livings, Senior Living, and other congregate care types.
Continuing Education Units available for Long Term Care Administrators!
The Minnesota Board of Executives for Long Term Services and Supports (BELTSS) has approved this symposium for 6.25 CEUs.
A block of rooms is reserved at the Embassy Suites for those coming in from out of town. Make your reservation under this block by following this link: Embassy Suites Hotel Block
May 31st Schedule
8:10am Presentation: Why do we press harder on the remote control when we know the batteries are dead?
Presenter: Mitch Radin
9:25am Presentation: Prepare Long-term Care Facility Staff for Workplace Violence/Active Shooter Response
Presenter: Michael Melton
- Active Shooter EOP for Schools
- CISA Active Shooter Action Guide for Hospitals
- Handout Resources OODA and Security Active Shooter Preparedness Tool
- Personal Action Plan Active Shooter Preparedness Tool
- Safer Room Assessment Active Shooter Preparedness Tool
11:00am Panel Presentation: The Changing Landscape of Long Term Care Post-COVID-19
Presenters: Brett Anderson, Rev. Kevin Coder, Pam Hayle, and Lindsay Schmidt
Presenters: Jason Belden and Ryan Dickerson
Presenter: Pete Cole
Presenter: Kerry Appleton